The Upstate Life
The Upstate Life

Tuesday, December 23, 2003

TUL's Top 5 Albums of 2003, Because You Really Care!

First off, only five albums?? More is just not necessary for me. Not only would I have to sound a lot more conceited, but I simply desire to write about those I actually give a shit about rather than ramble about those lower on the list. Remember, this is Albany, not the East Village.

5) Jay-Z - The Black Album

I own Volume 2. And why not? That album launched Hova into the mainstream hardcore with a ton of hot singles. "Hard Knock Life", "Jigga What, Jigga Who", and the Brooklyn anthem, "Money, Cash, Hoes." Volume 3 was decent but The Dynasty sucked. The Blueprint was good yet The Blueprint 2 wasn't. However, The Black Album touts some of Jay'Z's finer work. "What More Can I Say" and "Encore" are good tracks, but "99 Questions" truly rocks with its old-school Licensed to Ill beat. What would you expect with Rick Rubin at the helm? You got to give Jay-Z a lot of credit, for he is one of the few artists to drop an album practically ever year. I honestly can't think of any other current musicians that have achieved that milestone. Hell, does anyone even know when the next Beastie Boys album coming out? It's already been more than a good five years, eesh.

4) Aesop Rock - Bazookatooth

Labor Days was a sweet album. Aesop's flow is one of the most unique if not poignant in the indie rap scene. So it was no surprise his next release would be exceptionally good, if not better. On first listen, I wasn't too impressed, particularly since Aes decided to do his own production this time around. However, each track decided to grow onto me a little more with each spin. A little darker than Labor Days, Bazookatooth still has some intense writing and sick lyrics... "And I still Aesop the fuck out of the Rock!"

3) Beatles - Let It Be ... Naked

Yeah yeah, I know there is some objection to this selection. Despite being originally released in 1970, this 2003 reissue is somewhat of a new, if not better album. The majority of the tracks are alternate takes which many bootleggers have not heard previously. The sound has been remastered and polished in crisp fashion. I own the original album, and I can easily say this version sounds remarkably better in terms of sound quality. Sure, it is still one of the group's weakest albums, but I am glad they got rid of the filler ("Maggie Mae", "Dig It") and replaced it with worthwhile songs that should have been there to begin with ("Don't Let Me Down"). I still hate "Across the Universe" though.

2) Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below

I guess I can speak for George Martin regarding the White Album when he said he wished the two discs were consolidated into one really good record. But alas, Outkast's double album is still really a great genre-bending work. I'm more fond of Big Boi's Speaker than Andre's Love, but each CD definitely has its moments. I mean, "Hey Ya" was Pitchfork's #1 Single of 2003 for crying out loud! Another White Album comparison can be said between "Happiness is a Warm Gun" and "Ghettomusick." Each are both a 100% group effort (not a solo with the others featured in the background), and the strongest number on the album.

1) The Strokes - Room On Fire

Despite the fact the underground garage 70s rock movement is over (what ever happened to the Hives anyway?), the Strokes return with their sophomore release. They definitely survived the second album jinx by delivering some great riffs and tremendous vocals by Julian Casablancas (Vin Diesel sounds more realistic than that moniker). The biggest departure on Room on Fire is "Under Control", basically a ballad of all things! Absurd I tell you! But have no fear, these guys aren't going soft on you, only stronger. "Reptilia" is my favorite off this album, an excellent rocker indeed. Man would I love to see these guys live around here. Then again, they're way too pretentious to come up to Albany, oh well!

iPod Clicks


Twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    You Can Catch Me At

  • 4/24 - Hot Chip @ 9:30 Club
  • 4/26 - Phoenix @ DAR


  • Blog Roll
    Livin' In The Past



    Search TUL

    Credits

    webdesign by maystar designs
    powered by blogger
    comments by haloscan
    logo design by brian eliseo

    contact: theupstatelife@gmail.com

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Blingo



    Subscribe with Bloglines

    Personal Blogs Blog Directory





    original code and template by maystar designs copyright 2003