The Upstate Life
The Upstate Life

Tuesday, August 17, 2004
I Said I Would Return On Tuesday Edition



I'm beginning to loathe BWI more and more each time I travel from there. I'm not complaining about the check-in process or the security lines, those actually went very smoothly, but how they run their increasingly shitty food operations. You see, back in the day, I was greeted with familiar franchises in the busy Southwest terminal such as Burger King and Pizza Hut. Today, however, those restaurants are all but gone and were replaced with something called Charley's Grilled Subs and Mamma Illardo's pizza. I decided to wait in line at the sub place since their menu consisted of more than four pre-made pizzas sitting on hot plates. Five minutes went by, and the line stood still. Ten minutes later, still the same thing. Simultaneously, the line was getting longer and customers were getting angrier. It just blew my mind how incredibly slow this place was serving people, especially since there were plenty of employees working in the back. I made the wise decision to defect to the pizza line, and apparently 3 others behind me followed suit. There I picked up a vegetable pizza, paid my 5 bucks, and began to eat my dinner. Even though I'm sure most of you encompass enough common sense not to buy Mamma Illardo's, let me just restate that you should not do it! I've had Celeste Pizza for One's that were better than this freezer burnt shit. Oh yeah, and there was only one operational ice dispenser out of four, awesome. The Spin magazine I bought from the newsstand was the only thing that kept my sanity (besides The Hives gracing the cover, there's a great Modest Mouse article you should def read).

I got home around 10 Friday night, went over to my friend's house for a little bit, and slept in late for what seemed like the first time in ages (even though I'm pretty sure I did that last weekend). A bunch of my friends from home and I went to the track (Saratoga Race Course for the out-of-towners) for the day Saturday. Apparently they've instituted this no-glass rule as of this year, so we were forced to throw away a six-pack of Sam Adams which was definitely heartbreaking. I tried to save one of the bottles before entering the gates, but I think Sam Adams tastes like shit so I wasn't too successful. These dudes behind us got it even worse since they were already drunk to begin with and were trying to bring in an entire bottle of vodka. We were running a little late since the first race that we could bet on was the 5th. I put down a $2 exacta box for my first bet of the day and actually won 50 bucks. After that, I won a few more bets (and lost a lot more) but wound up $40 up after the last race. We went back to Adam's house for some pregaming before heading out to Gaffney's in downtown Saratoga. It wasn't that bad but I definitely enjoy the Albany scene a lot more. With track season, Toga is just way too crowded, pretentious, and full of yuppies that it becomes aggravating. Add the element of seeing people from high school you have no interest in seeing or talking to and it makes it even less enjoyable.

I spent most of the day with my family for Sunday brunch at the Gellman residence. Amidst the typical Jewish selection of bagels, lox, and delicious rugalach, my aunt from California was in town that I haven't seen in about 3 years. It was great to see her and basically said I'm welcome to come on over to the west coast anytime. I still haven't been further west than Pennsylvania (pathetic, I know), so I'd like to make it out there eventually for a trip sometime. On a completely unrelated note, I'll actually be in Maryland this weekend. Only trouble is 1) I need to figure out a way of how I'm going to move all my shit out of my apartment, and 2) where the hell I'm going to store it. The fun never ends. I didn't end up going to the Polyphonic Spree show last night since my friend couldn't make it, but I've been feeling a little under the weather since Sunday. I really hope they make Sudafed Bombs at Pharmacy Bar tonight. I'll even double fist them!

iPod Clicks


Twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    You Can Catch Me At

  • 4/24 - Hot Chip @ 9:30 Club
  • 4/26 - Phoenix @ DAR


  • Blog Roll
    Livin' In The Past



    Search TUL

    Credits

    webdesign by maystar designs
    powered by blogger
    comments by haloscan
    logo design by brian eliseo

    contact: theupstatelife@gmail.com

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Blingo



    Subscribe with Bloglines

    Personal Blogs Blog Directory





    original code and template by maystar designs copyright 2003