The Upstate Life
The Upstate Life

Monday, October 17, 2005
TUL's Take: Foo Fighters @ 9:30 Club

It occurred to me this morning that I never mentioned the fact I was able to obtain tickets to last night's "secret" Foo Fighters show at the 9:30 Club. Sometime during this past Thursday afternoon between counting down the hours until I could stop starving myself and watch DVDs, I realized that the online presale for the concert would be starting within just a few minutes. After cutting and pasting the password from the 9:30 Club email (yes, I'm an actual subscriber to their listserv and did not obtain this information from DCist's faux pax of a post) and refreshing my Firefox browser at least 72 times between 3:59 and 4:00pm, I finally gained access, entered the anything-but-secret password, was forwarded to their order page, and proceeded to pay for the maximum number of two tickets. The grand total came around to $53 ($20 each plus those lovely surcharges).

When I arrived at the club last night around 9:30, I was greeted by a line that wrapped around the venue, then continuing down at least another two or three blocks. The doors were scheduled to open at 10pm, but it seemed like my friend and I didn't make any significant movement until at least 10:20. After obtaining our tickets and wristbands, we were then sent to a line for a security pat-down, a first for me (at least at the 9:30, obvs). Upon checking our IDs at the door, we finally made it inside and headed our way up to the balcony only to be greeted by roped-off areas on both sides for the DC101 VIPs. We were able to find a decent spot in the center though were relegated to standing at least two rows back. Even before the show started, every time I talked to my friend, this one stiff in front of us who was with his wife (who obviously had no intention being but there whatsoever but was merely whipped into going) kept glancing at me whenever I spoke a word which made the whole conversation scenario seem socially awkward. Seriously, dude should've just waited in the car since he didn't move, clap, or evidently care that he was there so wifey could enjoy herself.

Anyways, I suppose I should discuss the show itself. Before we get started, this was in fact my very first Foo Fighters concert. Yes, that's right. I'm not a diehard fan by any means, however, I thought it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to see them perform in such a small venue. It was certainly a huge payoff and now I'm spoiled if I ever see them again. The show was incredible from the very moment they went onstage and broke into "Last Song." The energy resonating throughout the club hit such high levels that you could easily tell the band was into every second of it. At one point during the concert, Dave went offstage into the crowd with guitar in hand, proceeded to walk up onto the bar, perform a brief solo, and then capped off the entire thing by downing a shot of Jägermeister to a thunderous roar from the crowd. It was an entertaining display and one of those rare moments where you could simply say "Only at the 9:30." Other highlights included I.M.P. guru himself Seth Hurwitz joining the band on drums for a cover of CCR's "Born on the Bayou" and a humorous exchange of words between Dave and a fan after questioning Mr. Grohl on what brand of gum he chews (which ultimately turned out to be Dentyne Ice for those who desperately wanted to know). Overall, the nearly two and a half hour show was an amazing evening despite the less than five hour sleep that followed (the show didn't get out until 1:30am!). Setlist via, whom else, but the 9:30 Forum 'natch:

1. Last Song
2. This is a Call
3. Best of You
4. My Hero
5. Learn to Fly
6. For All the Cows
7. Times Like These
8. Have it All
8. Stacked Actors
9. DOA
10. Breakout
11. Generator
12. Gas Chamber?? - not sure
13. The One
14. I'll Stick Around
15. Part of Message In the Bottle - Taylor singing
16. Cold Day in the Sun
17. Low
18. Hey Johnny Park
19. Monkey Wrench
20. Everlong - first part solo by Dave

Encore:
21. Aurora
22. In Your Honor
23. Born on the Bayou - Seth Hurwitz on drums
24. All My Life

iPod Clicks


Twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    You Can Catch Me At

  • 4/24 - Hot Chip @ 9:30 Club
  • 4/26 - Phoenix @ DAR


  • Blog Roll
    Livin' In The Past



    Search TUL

    Credits

    webdesign by maystar designs
    powered by blogger
    comments by haloscan
    logo design by brian eliseo

    contact: theupstatelife@gmail.com

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Blingo



    Subscribe with Bloglines

    Personal Blogs Blog Directory





    original code and template by maystar designs copyright 2003